In 2012, Gotta Dance began rewarding dancers for having perfect attendance. As a result, their dedication to dance is demonstrated. This is an award for dancers who are relentless in their commitment to several factors. This includes their technique, teachers, classmates and physical fitness. Dancers who have achieved this goal will receive a Gotta Dance bell and will have the opportunity to ring the Relentless Award bell to celebrate their achievement.
Perfect attendance displays amazing determination from our dancers. This is a goal that can be met by every dancer at Gotta Dance. Join us next season by bringing your Relentless Attendance to class!
Gotta Dance Attendance Policy
At Gotta Dance, we encourage our dancers to strive for a record of perfect attendance. This dedication improves dance technique. In addition, it helps dancers prepare to progress for the next class level. Attending every class allows students to develop their skill set. Building strong lasting relationships with their teachers and peers, and maintain a lasting self-confidence.
We understand that there are certain situations and obligations that may outweigh any commitment towards an extracurricular activity. Consequently, we will excuse an absence in the event of the following.
- A death in the family
- A religious holiday where the studio is not closed.
- In the event of such absence, the dancer is required to bring a signed note from their house of worship.
- Class missed due to another Gotta Dance obligation.
- Our Showstoppers, Immortal, Nutcracker, Heartbeat, and EDGE teams may conflict with scheduled classes.
- Showstopper and Dynamite auditions will be an excused absence if class conflicts with the audition.
- We encourage students to make up this absence, but it is not a requirement.
Absence Due to Illness:
Illness and Injury are ailments out of any person’s immediate control. We also recognize that there is a spectrum in the severity of ailments. We encourage students afflicted with movement inhibiting injuries and non-contagious illness to come to class and observe. Observation of a class will not affect a record of perfect attendance.
However, there are times when for the safety of the student and others in the classroom, a dancer will need to miss class. These absences will not be excused for any reason. We also ask that parents and students use their best judgment when making the decision to attend class in a time of illness.
Life happens, and often gets in the way of our planned day-to-day schedule. First of all ur dancers and their families have busy schedules. We understand that attending dance class often comes at the exclusion of other equally exciting opportunities. We want our dancers to pursue every opportunity available to them. Any absence, however, not stated as unexcused. Consequently this will count against perfect attendance.
We recognize that pursing a record of perfect attendance requires a combination of dedication, commitment coordination. A little bit of luck in addition plays a role. Gotta Dance wishes to celebrate the dancers who made it to every class, every week. Our policy on attendance is non-negotiable and must be maintained to ensure that the Relentless Perfect Attendance Award is a distinct achievement.
As is our policy, we encourage students who miss a class to absolutely make up the class during another same level class. This ensures that the dancer stays up to date with class material. Make-ups do not ‘cancel out’ an absence, they just keep our dancers at their very best, which is our ultimate educational goal!
Workshop Attendance Policy 2022-2023:
Workshop is Gotta Dance’s highest level, and our dancers commit to Workshop with dance as their priority. In this class, everyone should have the same commitment. When a dancer does not, it affects everyone’s growth. By registering for Workshop level class(es), you are committing to this policy.
- Teacher recommendation
- Attendance policy
- 80% attendance must be maintained for each Workshop level class.
- Students will be contacted by the Gotta Dance office if attendance falls below 80% based on the below check dates. Dancers will be allowed to make up classes in another class: Jazz, Tap & Ballet: Can make up in Sapphire, Emerald, Diamond & Workshop Contemporary: Can make up in Contemporary levels 2 & 3 Modern: Can make up in Intermediate Modern & Advanced Modern Street HipHop: Can make up in any level Street HipHop class Broadway: Can make up in Broadway Middle/High School class. All makeup classes must be completed deadline for each check. If make-up classes are not completed by deadline, dancers will be dropped from the class and refunded 50% of the concert fee.
- Make-up classes are not Gotta Dance’s responsibility. Any dancer that attends a makeup class, will be responsible to ask the teacher for the makeup class notebook, fill out the makeup class form, and have the teacher sign it.
- The only excused absences are studying abroad, earning a professional role (ex: Papermill, Radio City or Broadway), having a doctor’s note, a death in the family, a religious holiday where the studio is not closed, missing due to another Gotta Dance team rehearsal/performance and/or missing for college tours. We ask that a note be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org for any excused absences. (If missing due to an injury, we still ask dancers to attend sitting out by attending virtually or in person)
- If a student is unable to commit to 80% attendance, they should register for a Diamond level class even if they are recommended for Workshop.
- 80 % attendance will be looked at when finalizing Showstopper Dance Company lead roles.
- You may email the teachers about your absences but if it’s an excused absence you must email the office at email@example.com. If you don’t this excused absence will not be recorded.
– If you are absent due to a medical reason, you must email us a doctor’s note.
– If you are absent because of a college visit, please email us the confirmation email from the college.
– If you have to miss due to another Gotta Dance commitment such as Nutcracker, Immortal, etc. Please email the office with the date and reason why you missed so this can count as an excused absence.
- There will be 3 attendance checks throughout the year.
November 28th- At this time dancers need to have attended class at least 9 times. You will be notified on 12/1 if you have fallen below this.
December 23rd- All of your make ups must be completed if you were notified.
March 13th- At this time dancers need to have attended class at least 20 times. (Saturday classes need to have been attended 19 times) You will be notified on 3/15 if you have fallen below this.
April 3rd- All of your make ups must be completed if you were notified.
April 24th- At this time dancers need to have attended class at least 24 times. (Saturday classes need to have been attended 23 times) You will be notified on 4/30 if you have fallen below this.
May 15th- All your make ups must be completed if you were notified.